I never work with this before… and to be honest, I am not a huge fan of foam boards. especially when I have to sand it and apparently sniff all the dust inside.
BUT, this methods seems working… so…Again, I started with measuring the character’s length of the leg so I know how tall the chair should be.
I cut off a 1 cm foam board and start sculpting it (sanding it really.)
After the rough shape forming… I trim a wooden round shape stick into the length (slight shorter) and I use thinner foam boards as it’s leg. (As shown in picture)
Few props that I decided to start with is the tables.
They are the biggest item in the whole office. When the audience is not looking at the character, they will be looking around for different stuff. I want the table to be strong and bulky enough for the set to look real. And hopefully to satisfy audiences’ eyes.
Working progress time lapse:
This first video is me working on Illustrator to print out templates for me to cut accordingly. I used the actual size of the Character (Mr.Kun) and imagine him sitting down… what is the height of the table should be…
The reason it looks kinda shaky is that I am literally standing up and down all the time…. Becuase of the foam board is too big… I cannot cut it on my desk, need to cut it on the floor lol.
Personally, I will say I really enjoy playing around with AfterEffect, the things that you can achieve in After Effect is outstanding and often with amazing qualities.
After finish shooting, I realize from the 3D CGI scene to the next scene where the black ball encounter with Children’s Society, it has not much of connections.
this is what the original clip look like:
Cause the previous scene is falling down, I thought if I made the ball falls down, it will make much more sense. So this is what I did…. (probably the weird and ‘take ages’ way)
I duplicate the same layer, and mask on of them out. Use the other one as a background.
Then I photoshopped one of the spheres into a single file png, that I can animate with. I animate it dropping from the top of it and adding some dropping expressions to it so it looks more ‘nature’
I also animate a shadow that follows through the ball. After few frames, I then combine the original footage with it so they can match and it won’t looks weird.
At the second scene of the film, I want to show that there is a force that takes away his foster brother. Which then it reminds me I can use the wind to demonstrate that action. At first, I thought I will draw out the wind after I finish shooting the animation with TVPaint or other programs. However, I was inspired from some of year 2’s work and I will like to develop some of the leaves fall with stop-motion animation. After having this idea, my first idea was to hang the leaves and animate it frame by frame falling down… Steve suggested that will actually take wayyyyyy toooooo much unnecessary work, which I can simply green screen it (which in this case I use blue screen)
Here is some process I made the leaves:
This is the wire I used to create the shape of the leaves.
This is the first method, I try to stick the paper with the wire with double sided tape, and it is totally a fail. The tape does not sticky enough to hold the paper.
The second method I tried is using glue gun, which it really works nicely, I just simply have to watch out it and cut all the edges carefully after it dry and cool down.
So I was away back to home to see my mom cause she had been diagnostic breast cancer.
Anyway, while I was away, I manage to get some material and did a bit of test shoot in the hospital. I shot two scene which it is not exactly going as well as I thought, but at the moment, I am sure the quality isn’t what we are aiming for.
Because I was away and I miss the crit with Lucy and David (who from Children’s Society) Shaun suggested me that I should make a video explaining the rough animatic along the way. To make sure the client understand each step and decision I take during the process.
The story is simple:
The Character sees a caterpillar and it change it into a butterfly that scares the crap out of it. (I change the story a bit at the end which is a little bit different then my story board)
Making a butterfly’s bone structure for the plasticine to cover around it. ( at the end did not use it because i build it way too big….)
The actual size is almost half of the character… so way too big.