The Fanning shot

So our goals are to use different material you can find in an office space to create little props for the coffee beans to use. Therefore, we thought using the stick notes for the beans to fan the fire might be quite a nice option.

We shoot it with different angles and
place them into TVpaint and line them with the bean’s hand.

YouTube Preview Image
Personally, I am pretty happy with the result. the colour is quite stand out as well. and the yellow is a pretty iconic colour for the sticky note.

Rough Cut crit

Its the rough cut crit today.

I got to say. Our film is still at a very rough stage. However, we still try to put together all we got at the moment.

 

YouTube Preview Image

Apart from saying that we really need to speed up the process. I will say the result we got is quite satisfying. Tutor seems happy with the stop-motion movements.

One thing we do need to be careful might be the eyes.
Someone mentioned that the eyes might be too obvious that it seems not blended as a part of the beans.

So we might want to lower the opacity or do some texture to overlap it.

Preparing Puppet

So… as Steve Kindly lend us his lovely puppet.
We tried to make some changes to it.

The first thing we thought about is changing the head.
Going back to where we start this project, we really hope that we can use 3D printing for the head and faces.

Something like this… Obviously, we are not aiming such good quality industrialize pieces, but still, we were pretty optimistic about out result.

After few approaches… we kind of stop that idea, cause it is really not as easy as we thought it will be. (AGAIN! Just like we fail on the puppet’s silicone body…)

As you can see here… this is really not what we thought it will be and not what we are aiming for.

Therefore, we decided why not just print one head, and we can stick on the mouth or pupils later on. 

 

This is the first design, then we try to simplify it because the hair might look really messy with the light flashing in while shooting it.

 

After that, I tried several ways to colour it.

 

Setting up our “Site”

Its a tough day…
Raining cats and dogs… and i forgot my ID… need to go back and grab it and waste a lot of time…. but at the end, we kind of make this happen… At last.

 

One issue we face along the way is to create “office light” (ambient) Something more or less like these in the set… but the light we had can only be stuck onto a stick and stays on the ground…. So I kind of dismantled one part from the stick and stack both of them with a X shape… and hang it horizontally facing down.  Therefore kind of achieve the feeling of the light above.

and because the light is not strong enough… I used the huge foam board as a reflective face for another light. So we can have some overall light coming from the top.

 

For the floor, we try to use a dark non-woven fabric to cover the ground so it doesn’t reflect too much light back to the character. 

Start making chair.

For chair making…. it’s trickier…

I never work with this before… and to be honest, I am not a huge fan of foam boards. especially when I have to sand it and apparently sniff all the dust inside.

BUT, this methods seems working… so…Again, I started with measuring the character’s length of the leg so I know how tall the chair should be.
I cut off a 1 cm foam board and start sculpting it (sanding it really.)

After the rough shape forming… I trim a wooden round shape stick into the length (slight shorter) and I use thinner foam boards as it’s leg. (As shown in picture)

 

Some timelapse of making the chair.
YouTube Preview ImageYouTube Preview Image

Start making props!

Few props that I decided to start with is the tables.
They are the biggest item in the whole office. When the audience is not looking at the character, they will be looking around for different stuff. I want the table to be strong and bulky enough for the set to look real. And hopefully to satisfy audiences’ eyes.

Working progress time lapse:

This first video is me working on Illustrator to print out templates for me to cut accordingly. I used the actual size of the Character (Mr.Kun) and imagine him sitting down… what is the height of the table should be…
YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

The reason it looks kinda shaky is that I am literally standing up and down all the time…. Becuase of the foam board is too big… I cannot cut it on my desk, need to cut it on the floor lol.

Decision making

We have made a decision on the method!

Stop motion animation of the set and Mr.Kun + 2D drawing for the beans and the ‘monster’. And we are start building props for the setting.

Although at the same time we had another thought about having Mr.Kun cutting out and stick him onto another board and shoot it frame by frame.

this is our reference:
7204YouTube Preview Image
and
https://blinkink.co.uk/projects/the-bear-the-hare

which of course… they have budget…

 

So… material wise… we are probably going for foam boards and cutting them one by one by hand…I am not too sure however if this is a good idea or not though. Considering about the consistent of the film.

Acting Out…

LAVS- Live Action Video Shoot.

IS REALLY HELPFUL

If you done it correctly….. I think…

 

The reason I said that is because maybe before this, we really should settle all the camera angles and position, layout… stuff like that… otherwise it will not be as useful as it can be…

 

Here are some images reference for the day
(I did not put in all the videos in…as there are only for reference anyway.)