The Fanning fire shot

This is one of the very painful scenes which took me more than a week just to create a satisfying fire effect.

To begin with, I have checked a lot of different after effect tutorial on “how to create fire” However, a lot of the contents will require the use of “trapcode” which is a special plug-in made for after effect post-production.  Most importantly, this plug-in cost 699!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, I can’t afford to buy this…. at least not because I simply need to create something that’s like 5 seconds…

Anyhoo… I found a trial version after all… which I keep telling myself I need to speed up and finish it quickly!

Here is the test with smoke effect as well:

The Fanning shot

So our goals are to use different material you can find in an office space to create little props for the coffee beans to use. Therefore, we thought using the stick notes for the beans to fan the fire might be quite a nice option.

We shoot it with different angles and
place them into TVpaint and line them with the bean’s hand.

Personally, I am pretty happy with the result. the colour is quite stand out as well. and the yellow is a pretty iconic colour for the sticky note.

Rough Cut crit

Its the rough cut crit today.

I got to say. Our film is still at a very rough stage. However, we still try to put together all we got at the moment.

 

Apart from saying that we really need to speed up the process. I will say the result we got is quite satisfying. Tutor seems happy with the stop-motion movements.

One thing we do need to be careful might be the eyes.
Someone mentioned that the eyes might be too obvious that it seems not blended as a part of the beans.

So we might want to lower the opacity or do some texture to overlap it.

Preparing Puppet

So… as Steve Kindly lend us his lovely puppet.
We tried to make some changes to it.

The first thing we thought about is changing the head.
Going back to where we start this project, we really hope that we can use 3D printing for the head and faces.

Something like this… Obviously, we are not aiming such good quality industrialize pieces, but still, we were pretty optimistic about out result.

After few approaches… we kind of stop that idea, cause it is really not as easy as we thought it will be. (AGAIN! Just like we fail on the puppet’s silicone body…)

As you can see here… this is really not what we thought it will be and not what we are aiming for.

Therefore, we decided why not just print one head, and we can stick on the mouth or pupils later on. 

 

This is the first design, then we try to simplify it because the hair might look really messy with the light flashing in while shooting it.

 

After that, I tried several ways to colour it.